Proposed Tags

Evan Prodromou evan@debian.org
Mon, 05 May 2003 20:36:28 -0700

First of all, I'm TOTALLY PSYCHED about the new tags system. It's
really nicely designed, and better than anything I could have dreamed
up.

As I was going through http://debian.vitavonni.de/packagebrowser/,
tagging my untagged packages, I came up with a couple of new tags that
may be useful, which I'll put here:

    Software development / programming : Visual Interface Builder

            This would be for tools that create a GUI for a program,
            like Glade, Qt-Designer, or Gorm.

    Software development / programming : Integrated Development Environment (IDE)

            There's a number of these. Note that this is distinct from
            the visual interface builder: not all IDEs have GUI
            builders, and not all GUI builders are part of an IDE.

    Graphics : Viewer

            Some graphics programs just show the graphics, without
            having any kind of editing features. I think kview, eeyes,
            and xloadimage would all be examples of a graphics viewer.

Another question about philosophy: it seems to me that the best
possible situation is to have as many detailed tags as possible, and
to have a deep tree of tags (e.g. devel::lang::scheme::guile for all
Guile-related packages, not just "Scheme"). It seems that having lots
of tags, if they're hierarchically organized so that it's easy to find
the tags you want to assign to a package, means there's greater chance
of matching up Debian User A with Wanted Package B.

Lastly: how do I join this list, and how do I get to start adding tags
meself?

~ESP

--
Evan Prodromou