Proposed Tags

Erich Schubert erich@debian.org
Tue, 6 May 2003 23:35:48 +0200

> First of all, I'm TOTALLY PSYCHED about the new tags system. It's
> really nicely designed, and better than anything I could have dreamed
> up.

Thank you. I believe that after a clean reorganization of the tags this
will even become much better.

>     Software development / programming : Visual Interface Builder
>=20
>             This would be for tools that create a GUI for a program,
>             like Glade, Qt-Designer, or Gorm.

We intended to use "code generators" for these, but i guess there are
enough to add a new tag. Added a new tag for these. (not yet in the
interface)

>     Software development / programming : Integrated Development Environ=
ment (IDE)=20

i think "devel + editor" should be sufficient for these.

>     Graphics : Viewer
>=20
>             Some graphics programs just show the graphics, without
>             having any kind of editing features. I think kview, eeyes,
>             and xloadimage would all be examples of a graphics viewer.

It's just that "viewer" doesn't imply graphics - there are video viewers
as well - but you should use the "viewer" and the "graphics" tag for
these.

> Another question about philosophy: it seems to me that the best
> possible situation is to have as many detailed tags as possible, and
> to have a deep tree of tags (e.g. devel::lang::scheme::guile for all
> Guile-related packages, not just "Scheme"). It seems that having lots
> of tags, if they're hierarchically organized so that it's easy to find
> the tags you want to assign to a package, means there's greater chance
> of matching up Debian User A with Wanted Package B.

I'm unsure about the number of tags. We always tried to keep the number
of tags down on a "manageable" amount. Adding tags is difficult enough
with so many tags. :-( Unfortunately the web interface doesn't easily
(i.e. with a compatible way) allow some "folding" mechanism for the
keywords list, i fear.

> Lastly: how do I join this list, and how do I get to start adding tags
> meself?

https://alioth.debian.org/
and then go to the deb-usability project page; the list is there.

You need to activate your alioth account (just request a new password)
and then enrico can add you to the project group and give you write
access to CVS where the vocabulary is stored.

Greetings,
Erich Schubert
--=20
     erich@(vitavonni.de|debian.org)    --    GPG Key ID: 4B3A135C     (o=
_
 A man doesn't know what he knows until he knows what he doesn't know. //=
\
  Man kann sich auch in Gesellschaft anderer einsam f=FChlen. Weizs=E4cke=
r V_/_