Tag types - reorganizing all tags - task force

Thomas Hood jdthood0@yahoo.co.uk
07 May 2003 10:52:13 +0200

Mutual exclusivity is indeed part of the meaning of 'category'.

Because of that, 'category' is well suited for dividing up the
*characteristics* of packages: each characteristic belongs to one
and only one category.  Categories are mutually exclusive.

Note that (as I propose to use these words), packages do not
belong to categories.  Instead they have characteristics --
usually one characteristic from each category.

If you ask what packages *do* belong to, then I say "classes".
Each characteristic determines a class which contains exactly
those things that possesses that characteristic.

Just make sure that you don't attempt to define a characteristic
that belongs to all things that don't possess themselves, or
you'll run into the Russell paradox.  :)

--
Thomas Hood <jdthood0@yahoo.co.uk>