Announcement of new packagebrowser?

Enrico Zini enrico@debian.org
Wed, 7 May 2003 21:22:58 +0200

On Wed, May 07, 2003 at 04:44:47PM +0200, Erich Schubert wrote:

> > I don't necessarily see it as a bloat, as it's probably required in just
> > a few contexts.  And in every such context, it might mean something
> > different.  Could you make some example of specialized packages?
> Editors. There are many "specialized" editors. (we have such a category
> there already i think).

In this case we should look at the set of editors and try to see what
are the differences between them.

editor::specialized now contains: crossfire-edit, gmanedit,
imaze-xlabed, kbabel, kbabel-dev, manedit, poedit, potool, ted,
ted-common

I would remove editor::specialized from them, and:

  put crossfile-edit in editors, games
  put manedit and gmanedit in editors, manpage
  put poedit, potool, kbabel and kbabel-dev in editors, i18n
  ted and ted-common could maybe go with the other word processors
  imaze-xlabed does not seem to belong to editors.

After all, "editors, manpage" is already a good description for a
specialized editor, and it also tells you in which sense specialization
goes.

> You could consider "dillo" a "specialized" browser (being very
> minimal; specialized for low-end systems) and such things. But i don't
> think there are many cases where we do have many packages to fit into
> the category.

dillo could go in "browser, lightweight", with the same rationale as for
editors above.

> We don't have many "specialized" law/medical applications yet, do we?

I guess so, but I look forward to it :)

				Ciao! Enrico