Package Tags

Erich Schubert deb-usability-list@lists.alioth.debian.org
Thu, 8 May 2003 17:09:55 +0200

> Would it be possible to add a Tag under "Network and Internet" called
> "IPv6" to categorize Packages which support IPv6 ?

Of course this is possible. I'll add it as soon as i'm back home and
working on the vocabulary. It will take some time - till the
reorganization and restructuring is done (until i've decided on the
open questions i mentioned in the mail to d-devel) - until i will update
the vocabulary in the webfrontend though.

But there is a /big/ design question here:
Should the tag be used for "ipv6-enabled" applications (that is
applications that can be used with ipv6, like an ipv6-enabled
mailclient, and which hopefully will be all applications soon)
or should it be used for "ipv6-tools" only (that is applications to
control ipv6, like routing applications, tunnels etc.)

The same issue arises with "unicode": i made it clear in the title that
this is to be used for unicode utilities, not for "application does
understand what unicode is" or even "documentation is in unicode, not
latin1" ;)

There is a second issue with that: an application that does not have
this ipv6-enabled tag, can either not work with ipv6, or was just not
yet verified to work with ipv6. So we could use a no-ipv6-support tag,
too... i'm not too happy with that kind of tags.

Greetings,
Erich