Package Tags

Matthias Cramer cramer@dolphins.ch
Thu, 8 May 2003 17:34:01 +0200

--=.Q/Pl6D,MAtGatt

Hi Erich

On Thu, 8 May 2003 17:09:55 +0200
Erich Schubert <erich@debian.org> wrote:

> > Would it be possible to add a Tag under "Network and Internet" called
> > "IPv6" to categorize Packages which support IPv6 ?
>
> Of course this is possible. I'll add it as soon as i'm back home and
> working on the vocabulary. It will take some time - till the
> reorganization and restructuring is done (until i've decided on the
> open questions i mentioned in the mail to d-devel) - until i will update
> the vocabulary in the webfrontend though.
>
> But there is a /big/ design question here:
> Should the tag be used for "ipv6-enabled" applications (that is
> applications that can be used with ipv6, like an ipv6-enabled
> mailclient, and which hopefully will be all applications soon)
> or should it be used for "ipv6-tools" only (that is applications to
> control ipv6, like routing applications, tunnels etc.)
>
> The same issue arises with "unicode": i made it clear in the title that
> this is to be used for unicode utilities, not for "application does
> understand what unicode is" or even "documentation is in unicode, not
> latin1" ;)
>
> There is a second issue with that: an application that does not have
> this ipv6-enabled tag, can either not work with ipv6, or was just not
> yet verified to work with ipv6. So we could use a no-ipv6-support tag,
> too... i'm not too happy with that kind of tags.

In my opinion we should have all of those tags, IPv6-tools is a application group
IPv6-enabled for tools that support communication over IPv6 and
no-ipv6-support which are verified to not work with ipv6 and no pach or plans
to support ipv6 exist. Shure, the IPv6-enables tag will hopefully be unnessecary in the near
(I'm an optimist :-) future when all applications support it ant it is the standard.

Best regards

  Matthias

--
     _;\_    Matthias Cramer / mc322-ripe   System & Network Manager
    /_.  \   Dolphins Network Systems AG    Phone +41-1-847'45'45
   |/ -\ .)  Libernstrasse 24               Fax   +41-1-847'45'49
 -'^`-   \;  CH-8112 Otelfingen             http://www.dolphins.ch/
GnuPG 1024D/2D208250 = DBC6 65B6 7083 1029 781E  3959 B62F DF1C 2D20 8250

--=.Q/Pl6D,MAtGatt

--=.Q/Pl6D,MAtGatt--