the DPT project is hard to find, feature request

Erich Schubert erich@debian.org
Thu, 15 May 2003 16:58:55 +0200

> I didn't succeed in finding a Debian Package Tags project page at
> http://alioth.debian.org/ :(

It's the deb-usability project. But there's nothing else there except
the link to the mailing list archive.

> I guess it'd be helpful if there were links to these pages from
> http://debian.vitavonni.de/packagebrowser/ .  The last page is the only
> one announced to a wide audience.

Alioth was broken, that's why i had removed that link.

>  Tags: monitoring, server, clock
>
> in debian/control, similar to the current 'Section:' field?  I guess
> it's currently not supported; however, I believe it'd be very useful.

That is what we are aiming for. But these fields can't just be added,
tools will complain (at least lintian ;) - this should be added to
policy first.

> Could the debtags package get uploaded to the main Debian archive?

This most probably was intended, but got stopped by the apt update. At
least here the apt update deinstalled debtags to to the libapt-*-perl
package. I think Enrico is working on a rewrite of debtags in C++, using
his tagcoll library directly as well as the C interface of the apt
libraries (because the perl interface had bugs, causing a segfault upon
exit).

Greetings,
Erich