[Debburn-devel] Replacement of "cdrecord"

Albert Cahalan acahalan at gmail.com
Sat Sep 23 19:52:00 UTC 2006

On 9/23/06, Christian Fromme <kaner at strace.org> wrote:
> On 23.09. 13:14, Albert Cahalan wrote:

> > I think that the name change was a serious error.
> Will it break scripts? Maybe[0]. But nothing a symlink couldn't fix I
> think.

It will require symlinks and other hacks on numerous machines
all around the world. I don't think this is justified.

> > So that becomes the main branch. The normal default
> > becomes dead and useless with time, but you can't
> > just merge back because there will never be a good
> > point in time when you can say that NOBODY will
> > ever again want to patch the non-cleanup code.
>
> We discussed this already and IIRC the outcome of the discussion was to
> leave the main branch as it is [except bugfixes] until post-etch. Again,
> there is no general rule why this must be done that way and could also
> be done different if everybody [especially people with commit-access ;)]
> agrees.

Post-etch? Yet again this is looking like a Debian-specific project.
Why is a Debian release any more important than a Fedora,
SuSE, Slackware, Gentoo, or Mandriva release?

How many non-Debian people have commit access now?
How many Debian developers do?

It's perfectly OK to have this be Debian-specific, but that
really ought to be made clear if so.