[Debburn-devel] Replacement of "cdrecord"

Eduard Bloch edi at gmx.de
Sat Sep 23 22:27:29 UTC 2006

#include <hallo.h>
* Albert Cahalan [Sat, Sep 23 2006, 03:52:00PM]:
> On 9/23/06, Christian Fromme <kaner at strace.org> wrote:
> >On 23.09. 13:14, Albert Cahalan wrote:
>
> >> I think that the name change was a serious error.
> >Will it break scripts? Maybe[0]. But nothing a symlink couldn't fix I
> >think.
>
> It will require symlinks and other hacks on numerous machines
> all around the world. I don't think this is justified.

It depends. Those looking for cdrecord will get it. Along with cdrtools.
Those looking for wodim will get it. Along with cdrkit. And then also
know what they are using.

No confusion -> problem solved.

> >> So that becomes the main branch. The normal default
> >> becomes dead and useless with time, but you can't
> >> just merge back because there will never be a good
> >> point in time when you can say that NOBODY will
> >> ever again want to patch the non-cleanup code.
> >
> >We discussed this already and IIRC the outcome of the discussion was to
> >leave the main branch as it is [except bugfixes] until post-etch. Again,
> >there is no general rule why this must be done that way and could also
> >be done different if everybody [especially people with commit-access ;)]
> >agrees.

Please, I ask everybody to cool down a bit.

> Post-etch? Yet again this is looking like a Debian-specific project.

I also don't like Debian-specific terms and time scales in this context.
There are not many things that prevent us from doing parallel
development on a alpha branch. That is what I propose to do: after
releasing pre5 or pre6, move that as branches/stable and merge changes
of the cleanup branch to the trunk, making trunk the branch for stormy
development.

> Why is a Debian release any more important than a Fedora,
> SuSE, Slackware, Gentoo, or Mandriva release?

Who claimed that? ATM nothing is "more important" because trunk is
actively maintained and is beeing kept in releaseable state. However,
soon we need to make a "silver" or "golden" release which needs to be
stable for a while, and which could go to Debian Sarge. That is not that
different from any other project, they have release cycles that fit
perfectly into the cycle of some distributions and not so good into the
release cycle of others. That's life.

> How many non-Debian people have commit access now?
> How many Debian developers do?

How many people do actually _need_ to? Which patches do you want to have
commited? They are welcome, but where are they?

Or does having the commit access make you sleep better? Maybe, but it
makes me sleep _worse_ because of lesser security.

Eduard.
--
<nobse> Hmm... ich bin gerade aufgestanden, noch nix gegessen, aber bastel an
	Debian Paketen.  Ist das normal?