[Debburn-devel] Replacement of "cdrecord"

Albert Cahalan acahalan at gmail.com
Sat Sep 23 23:20:23 UTC 2006

On 9/23/06, Eduard Bloch <edi at gmx.de> wrote:
> * Albert Cahalan [Sat, Sep 23 2006, 03:52:00PM]:

> > Why is a Debian release any more important than a Fedora,
> > SuSE, Slackware, Gentoo, or Mandriva release?
>
> Who claimed that? ATM nothing is "more important" because trunk is
> actively maintained and is beeing kept in releaseable state. However,

The "post-etch" term implies it.

> > How many non-Debian people have commit access now?
> > How many Debian developers do?
>
> How many people do actually _need_ to? Which patches do you want to have
> commited? They are welcome, but where are they?

I already supplied a patch to fix the GPL violation. Nothing
else should go into the tree until that gets applied. If that
patch is not an acceptable solution, then we must go back
to the version of cdrecord from 2004. There just isn't any
point to keep hacking on things until this issue is addressed.

I was planning to eliminate compiler warnings, implement a
few C99 library functions for platforms that don't have them,
rip out some of the K+R C cruft, push the "SCSI ID" bullshit
into a file dedicated to backwards-compatibility, isolate the
security stuff (raise and lower privs) into one file for ease of
auditing, and probably other things I've forgotten right now.

> Or does having the commit access make you sleep better? Maybe, but it
> makes me sleep _worse_ because of lesser security.

That and the unpleasant conflicts (creation of OpenBSD, etc.)
are something you live with if you use a central repository.
If you wish to avoid these problems, you might use git.
FWIW, git has a web interface that kicks the living shit
out of the svn web interface running on alioth. You could
probably get hosted on kernel.org if alioth can't do git.

Note that this isn't just about me. What about that person
hacking on FreeBSD support? Why not him? You could
give access to the package maintainers from the various
Linux distributions or to the people who've written patches
for DVD support. Whatever... but it looks like a 100% pure
Debian project right now.