[Debburn-devel] Replacement of "cdrecord"

Christian Fromme kaner at strace.org
Sun Sep 24 00:30:03 UTC 2006

On 24.09. 00:27, Eduard Bloch wrote:

> > >We discussed this already and IIRC the outcome of the discussion was to
> > >leave the main branch as it is [except bugfixes] until post-etch. Again,
> > >there is no general rule why this must be done that way and could also
> > >be done different if everybody [especially people with commit-access ;)]
> > >agrees.
>
> Please, I ask everybody to cool down a bit.

Sorry, I really didn't mean to sound harsh or anything.

> > Post-etch? Yet again this is looking like a Debian-specific project.
>
> I also don't like Debian-specific terms and time scales in this context.
> There are not many things that prevent us from doing parallel
> development on a alpha branch. That is what I propose to do: after
> releasing pre5 or pre6, move that as branches/stable and merge changes
> of the cleanup branch to the trunk, making trunk the branch for stormy
> development.

Very well, I second that proposal.

> > Why is a Debian release any more important than a Fedora,
> > SuSE, Slackware, Gentoo, or Mandriva release?
>
> Who claimed that? ATM nothing is "more important" because trunk is
> actively maintained and is beeing kept in releaseable state. However,
> soon we need to make a "silver" or "golden" release which needs to be
> stable for a while, and which could go to Debian Sarge. That is not that
> different from any other project, they have release cycles that fit
> perfectly into the cycle of some distributions and not so good into the
> release cycle of others. That's life.
>
> > How many non-Debian people have commit access now?
> > How many Debian developers do?
>
> How many people do actually _need_ to? Which patches do you want to have
> commited? They are welcome, but where are they?

IIRC people will get commit access after submitting enough reasonable
good patches. Handing commit rights out to everybody is a problem,
especially on alioth. As you said, at the moment there is noone in
desperate need of commit access IMHO, so I don't see a big problem.

Albert, I can understand why you are a little bit annoyed because of
your patches. I am sure they are already being considered but the
discussion with JS is still going on at the moment, so you have to be
patient I guess.

Best wishes,
Christian