[Debburn-devel] genisoimage - unreadable videoDVD under Windows

Jan Klugl jklugl at pikebo.cz
Thu Jun 19 08:39:21 UTC 2008

hello there,
I've got an annoying problem that I can't sort out even with the help of
google or some Linux forums, so I decided to mail you. Sorry for
disturbing in advance.

I am using Kubuntu 8.04 and want to burn video DVDs. I tried k3b,
growisofs, genisoimage - the result is still the same. DVD is unreadable
under Windows. I even tried to burn an image made by genisoimage with
some Windows burning software, but result is the same. Windows say DVD
is not ready.
Interesting thing may be that on my friend's computer the DVD is just
shown as empty [ie not "not ready"] but his dvd shrink is *able* to dump
the video. Though he can't play the DVD from Win directly. I'm talking
about win XP in both cases.
Under Linux is everything OK, no difference in mount list, but
dvd+rw-mediainfo has one difference between that DVD and DVD burned by
me before [which is Win compatible] with Fedora5 on same hardware [and
with growisofs]:

[OK]

READ TRACK INFORMATION[#1]:
   Track State:           complete incremental

[Win-unreadable]

READ TRACK INFORMATION[#1]:
   Track State:           complete

That may be irrelevant though.

I'm searching [and posting :)] thru some Linux forums around and I found
two guys having the same problem. But no remedy :(
Was there a change in UDF filesystem recently that Windows don't
understand? Is there a way to burn Windows compatible DVD-Video disc
under Linux?
Thanks

--

                                     Jan Klügl