[Debburn-devel] LG CH08LS10 not burning CDs

Thomas Schmitt scdbackup at gmx.net
Thu Jan 28 07:43:24 UTC 2010

Hi,

surfed wrote:
> This is an LG drive and googling the issue the problem
> seems to be wide spread.

My own LG drives work fine with Linux and
FreeBSD. One of them seems to be the predecessor
of the drive in question
'HL-DT-ST' 'BDDVDRW GGC-H20L'.

> I have come to the conclusion that these
> drives received an firmware update for win7 compatibility but it made
> them useless in linux.

Optical drives comply to MMC specs and not to
particular OS versions. Sometimes one can work
around firmware bugs. It is not impossible that
Windows resp. the burn program knows a trick.
But in general i would accept this only as last
explanation if everything else has been outruled.

> swapping the drive to a sony and voila i can burn in
> linux. I believe it has something to to with burnfree and dma access?

This is of course a strong argument for a
systematic weakness of the drives in question.
But one cannot blame this on all LG drives.
What model do you have ?

burnfree should not have the described effect.
(If "should not" means anything in this case.)

DMA was an issue with IDE/P-ATA. Indeed one has
poor throughput without it. But 0.3x DVD speed
is too slow, even for IDE PIO on a 1900 MHz
machine.

My personal favorit culprit is still the multi-
tasking environment of the OS where the drives
show failure or poor performance.
But of course i can be wrong.

Have a nice day :)

Thomas