[Debburn-devel] LG CH08LS10 not burning CDs

Thomas Schmitt scdbackup at gmx.net
Thu Jan 28 20:27:22 UTC 2010

Hi,

> for DVD+DL i can only do 4x on a 6x drive
> and 8x disks. Trying 6x gives me a coaster after 1mb written with
> buffer under run error.

Oops. Buffer underrun with DVD+R DL ?
That should not be possible.
DVD+R may have open more than one track and
thus have to stand that writing to a particular
track gets suspended for a while.

Also, they do not get sent a mode page 5,
which could have the BUFE bit set for
burn-proof.
Up to now i thought that one cannot disable
burn-proof with DVD+R [DL].

Well, DVD+R DL have caused lots of problems
on my drives. Mostly with readability, though.
Coasters were rare. (But my Samsung SH-S203B
went blind for DVD+R by too many tries with DL,
i supersticiously believe.)

Blu-ray is the future. It works already quite
well. Only prices are still too high.

The best benchmark for speed are DVD-R because
one can burn them in simulation mode. That way
the media stays blank and can be used for the
next try.
  cdrskin ... -dummy ...
  growisofs ... -use-the-force-luke=dummy ...

I never tried whether wodim or cdrecord do -dummy
on DVD-R. Chances are that they do.

Have a nice day :)

Thomas