[Debburn-devel] LG CH08LS10 not burning CDs

Thomas Schmitt scdbackup at gmx.net
Sat Jan 30 20:51:12 UTC 2010

Hi,

> RIP, cant get cdrecord to work, it will not accept my dev=/dev/sr0 or
> dev=scsi:1,0,0 but i did get dmesg errors when inserting disk

There are my cdrskin (same options as wodim and
cdrecord) and my xorriso (cdrecord emulation
available by  xorriso -as cdrecord ...options..).
But well, if dmesg reports read error then they
don't have more chance to succeed than wodim
on the multi-user system.
(I expect one can disable ACPI by some GRUB
 boot option, though.)

> then rebooted with ACPI changed to ATA.
>  BUT burning worked altough at low speeds 1x - 3x for DVD.

Is that with DMA disabled ?
Else there would still be some disturbance.

(It is cursed, isn't it ?)

> Now I am confused.... Why did it work for a few burns under ARCH
> before failing again? If it is another process accessing the drive
> how do i figure out wich?

If really ACPI alone is to blame then i
understand it is the kernel which runs the
offending code.
(My knowledge about ACPI is strictly wikipedia.
 So better don't quote me with that.)

Normally ACPI does not cause constant drive
molestation. I conclude from the DVD symptoms
that it is polling with high frequency.
There must be some cause for this.
Maybe this cause was not given with the
successful tries.

Did you see the udev related report of Age Jan
Kuperus ?
What do you get from
  ps -ef | grep udev

I see only
  root      1000     1  0  2009 ?        00:00:03 /sbin/udevd --daemon

(Sorry, i have no idea how to disable udev and
 get along with good old mknod device nodes.)

As soon as you are sure that ACPI is the decisive
trigger, that soon you should report this to the
distro which you use.
I doubt we find anybody here who can explain ACPI
and kernel and all.
We need experts now.

Have a nice day :)

Thomas