[Debburn-devel] Only 4x burning for DVD+R working on Pioneer DVR-111D device

Thomas Schmitt scdbackup at gmx.net
Fri Oct 28 07:54:37 UTC 2011

Hi,

> I am having difficulty obtaining higher speeds than 4x on media which
> I can obtain 16x on Windows Vista. The media I am using are 16x Sony
> DVD+R. I have consulted the wodim manual with no avail.

The maintainers of wodim will hopefully forgive me iif i state that it
is mainly suitable for CD but not for DVD recording.

Try Andy Polyakov's growisofs or my programs cdrskin resp. xorriso.
cdrskin has a command line interface that is compatible to wodim.

If the problem persists, then i would be willing to help diagnosing
its cause.
In this case it would be interesting to know what drive and exact
media type you are using. Assuming it is accessible via /dev/sr0,
execute:

  cdrskin dev=/dev/sr0 -msinfo

and report the output.
If you have growisofs installed, run

  dvd+rw-mediainfo /dev/sr0

with the drive tray already loaded. (Else the report will be very short.)

Further tell by what kind of bus it is connected to the computer.
IDE/ATAPI, USB, SATA ... ?

In some cases, bottlenecks in the opering system can hamper full
speed on 16x DVD media. But 4x speed is so low, that i would blame
it on the burn program - at least on a 2x64bit AMD system.

Have a nice day :)

Thomas