[Debian-astro-maintainers] Uncategorised packages in Debian Astro

Andreas Tille andreas at an3as.eu
Wed Mar 15 21:08:35 UTC 2017

Hi,

On Wed, Mar 15, 2017 at 09:54:36PM +0100, Boud Roukema wrote:
> >I was running a script[1] to verify what packages maintained by Debian
> >Astro team are not yet mentioned in the Debian Astro tasks.  Here is the
> >result set:
>
> The package mpgrafic generates initial conditions for N-body cosmological simulations:
>
> https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/mpgrafic
>
> but it was too late for the Stretch freeze. Should this be a "recommended" package
> in the meta-package astro-simulation? Here it looks absent to me:
>
> https://packages.debian.org/unstable/astro-simulation
>
> Or should this categorisation wait until Stretch is released and the freeze is over?

The categorisation can be done independently from Stretch release.  When
metapackages are generated it is verified that the package exists in
testing.  If this is not the case the package will just be suggested
which is what you possibly want to inform users that there is something
interesting.

> There's obviously no point causing "astro-simulation" recommendations
> to break in Stretch because of mpgrafic being missing there.

Nothing will be broken by adding any package to the tasks.  In Debian
Med we have **lots** of packages inside the tasks pages that are not
even in unstable but only prepared in VCS.  This does not break
metapackages but results in extra information on the web sentinel pages.

Feel free to read more about this in the Blends documentation
   https://blends.debian.org/blends/

Kind regards

      Andreas.

--