[Debian-handbook-translators] Insufficient ISBN set for ebooks?

Petter Reinholdtsen pere at hungry.com
Sun Sep 6 23:59:34 BST 2020

[Raphael Hertzog]
> Because it seems useless to have different ISBN numbers for the same content
> with the same presentation.
>
> The ISBN logic is to have a different number as soon as something changes:
> paper layout, ebook format, minor content change, etc.

I do not know the inner working of the ISBN system, but got the
impression that a particular ISBN is both used to identify exactly what
is ordered when ordering books, and to identify and detect duplicates
and simliar works both inside and between libraries.  I suspect this
will only work if the ID change for even minor changes to the published
work.

> I don't want to follow that path and with all the intermediary
> versions published on the web, there's no way to follow the rules
> properly. So I tick to two ISBN per release, one for the paperback and
> one for the ebooks.

OK.  I do not have any strong feelings, as long as this diversion from
the ISBN system expectations is not done by mistake. :)

--
Happy hacking
Petter Reinholdtsen