[Debian-hebrew-common] BiDi UI packages (and sponsor needed)

Shachar Shemesh debian at shemesh.biz
Sat Aug 5 11:57:22 CEST 2006

Lior Kaplan wrote:

> Shachar Shemesh wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>

>> I have uploaded an experimental package for the bidiui extension to
>> thunderbird to http://lingnu.com/debian. I have not yet tested that the
>> package successfully builds inside a pbuilder tree (i.e. - I'm not sure
>> I nailed all build-time dependencies), but I think I'm fairly close.
>> Treat this package is unofficial for the time being (or, if you already
>> have a tree set up, do the tests and let me know).
>>

> comments:
> 1. In Debian Hebrew we use 'Debian Hebrew Packaging Team
> <debian-hebrew-package at lists.alioth.debian.org>' as maintainer and add
> the memebers as uploaders (at least those with upload rights).

So no credit? :-(

Ok, no problem. Just add me to the list of uploaders. Otherwise my name
at the changelog will make it sound as if this is a NMU, which it really
isn't. I don't think actual upload permission has nothing to do with it.
> 2.  I noticed that the source package is almost twice in size than the
> package. Some of the pictures (*.png in the chrome dir) and the locales
> files (bidimailpack.dtd, bidimailpack-prefs.dtd & contents.rdf) aren't
> in the package.
>
> I saw that the xpi available for download, contains the exact files as
> your package, but maybe they have another reason to leave some files out
> of the xpi.
>
> (I'm just raising this point, to make sure we don't do half of the job)

I did not delve into the details of the code, quite frankly. I use the
original script to generate an XPI (slightly changing it only so that it
generate the build directory and the XPI out of the source tree), and
then install the XPI as a global extension.

The source has some (limited amount) of cruft, due to old versions and
attempts at supporting other platforms than thunderbird. I still need to
see whether I want the same package to generate the seamonkey and
firefox extensions as well. The answer is probably "yes", but I havn't
gotten around to it yet.
> 3. in the rules files you have:
> ln -s /$(INSTALLDIR) \
>
> debian/thunderbird-bidiui/usr/lib/thunderbird/extensions/\{54e72d7b-ed31-4736-854f-f517358f21ee\}
>
> which results in this:
> lrwxrwxrwx root/root         0 2006-08-05 01:37
> ./usr/share/thunderbird/extensions/{54e72d7b-ed31-4736-854f-f517358f21ee}/defaults/preferences/bidimailui.js
> -> /debian/thunderbird-bidiui/etc/thunderbird/bidiui.js

No, it doesn't. It generates the link that (gets turned into):
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root   76 2006-08-05 01:39
{54e72d7b-ed31-4736-854f-f517358f21ee} ->
../../../share/thunderbird/extensions/{54e72d7b-ed31-4736-854f-f517358f21ee}
> there isn't any /debian dir in debian. You could use dh_link instead of
> doing ln yourself.

dh_link doesn't support linking to directories, linda requests that
files coming from a "Platform: All" package reside in /usr/share/lib and
not /usr/lib, and Thunderbird seeks the files at
/usr/lib/thunderbird/extensions. This is the only solution I could think of.

The funny part is that the offending link WAS generated using dh_link,
and so we see that dh_link is not the answer to all problems. I'm
considering suggesting adding a "dh_relocate" helper that deals with
cases such as this, where the Debian policy dictates that files reside
in a different location than the one the application expects them. It
will relocate the file/directory, and automatically add a link from the
old to the new location.

In any case, I fixed the problem. Thanks.
> 4. on the readme file you mention that you created the source tarball
> from cvs, in the copyright you say it was downloaded. I think you can
> removed the readme file, and put the cvs address in the copyright file.

I think I'll just point to http://bidiui.mozdev.org/source.html. Since
the source tarball could have been created from either CVS or XPI, I'll
keep the readme as well.
> 5. in the copyright file, I would mention the version of the GPL you
> license your work with (or add version 2 or later).

Lost you there. From /usr/share/doc/thunderbird-bidiui/copyright:
> License:
> Bidimailui is licensed under a triple license. Either GPL 2.0, LGPL
> 2.1 or MPL 1.1
>
> On Debian systems, the complete text of the GNU General
> Public License can be found in `/usr/share/common-licenses/GPL-2'.
>
> On Debian systems, the complete text of the GNU Lesser General
> Public License can be found in `/usr/share/common-licenses/LGPL-2.1'.
>
> The Mozilla Public License (MPL) version 1.1 is appended to this file.
I think it's fairly specific. Let me know what  you had in mind.

> 6. I would add Homepage: http://bidiui.mozdev.org to the description.
> This isn't a must, but its nice to have.

Will do.
> Nice work...

Thanks. I'll upload the revised version soon.

Shachar