[Debian-hebrew-common] BiDi UI packages (and sponsor needed)

Lior Kaplan kaplan at debian.org
Sat Aug 5 10:56:01 CEST 2006

Shachar Shemesh wrote:
> Hi all,
>

> I have uploaded an experimental package for the bidiui extension to
> thunderbird to http://lingnu.com/debian. I have not yet tested that the
> package successfully builds inside a pbuilder tree (i.e. - I'm not sure
> I nailed all build-time dependencies), but I think I'm fairly close.
> Treat this package is unofficial for the time being (or, if you already
> have a tree set up, do the tests and let me know).

comments:
1. In Debian Hebrew we use 'Debian Hebrew Packaging Team
<debian-hebrew-package at lists.alioth.debian.org>' as maintainer and add
the memebers as uploaders (at least those with upload rights).

2.  I noticed that the source package is almost twice in size than the
package. Some of the pictures (*.png in the chrome dir) and the locales
files (bidimailpack.dtd, bidimailpack-prefs.dtd & contents.rdf) aren't
in the package.

I saw that the xpi available for download, contains the exact files as
your package, but maybe they have another reason to leave some files out
of the xpi.

(I'm just raising this point, to make sure we don't do half of the job)

3. in the rules files you have:
ln -s /$(INSTALLDIR) \

debian/thunderbird-bidiui/usr/lib/thunderbird/extensions/\{54e72d7b-ed31-4736-854f-f517358f21ee\}

which results in this:
lrwxrwxrwx root/root         0 2006-08-05 01:37
./usr/share/thunderbird/extensions/{54e72d7b-ed31-4736-854f-f517358f21ee}/defaults/preferences/bidimailui.js
-> /debian/thunderbird-bidiui/etc/thunderbird/bidiui.js

there isn't any /debian dir in debian. You could use dh_link instead of
doing ln yourself.

4. on the readme file you mention that you created the source tarball
from cvs, in the copyright you say it was downloaded. I think you can
removed the readme file, and put the cvs address in the copyright file.

e.g.:
cvs -d :pserver:guest at mozdev.org:/cvs login
cvs -d :pserver:guest at mozdev.org:/cvs co bidiui

5. in the copyright file, I would mention the version of the GPL you
license your work with (or add version 2 or later).

6. I would add Homepage: http://bidiui.mozdev.org to the description.
This isn't a must, but its nice to have.

Nice work...

> As I still need some DAM attention before I become a Debian Developer, I
> would appreciate it if someone could volunteer to sponsor this upload. I
> think we had better wait until I'm 100% sure the package is ready, but
> if no sponsor comes from this list then I'll start doing the usual
> routes for a sponsor.

Don't worry about the package sponsorship. I'll be glad to do it.

--

Lior Kaplan
kaplan at debian.org

GPG fingerprint:
C644 D0B3 92F4 8FE4 4662  B541 1558 9445 99E8 1DA0