[Debian-hebrew-common] Need volunteers to translate debian-installer

Baruch Even baruch at debian.org
Sun Jul 30 15:22:01 UTC 2006

Shachar Shemesh wrote:
> Baruch Even wrote:
>> Hi folks,
>>
>> Debian is gearing up to release etch by the end of the year and we want
>> to have Hebrew as a supported language. What we need is help with
>> translating the screens of the Debian installer, Lior Kaplan had done a
>> great job with the installer for sarge so there is a good base for
>> starting from.
>>
>> A starting point for the documentation is at
>> http://d-i.alioth.debian.org/i18n-doc/ch01s03.html#id2471919
>>
>> I hope some folks can help us out with it to make sure we'll have a
>> working Debian-Hebrew system. The installer already sets up most of the
>> Hebrew issues and having the installer work in Hebrew would is an
>> important goal.
>>
>> Thanks in advance!
>>
>> Baruch
>>
> Hi Baruch, all.
>
> I'll try to see if Lingnu has any spare man-power for this task. It is a
> non-techie, so her translations should be skimmed over, but I'll try to
> get the bulk of the work out of the way.

That sounds great, I was looking for a volunteer and Diego Iastrubani
(sp?) said he might do it.

> Can you point me to the procedure for opening an alioth account?

http://alioth.debian.org/account/register.php
is all you should need, it will create a -guest account for anyone who
is not a DD.

There is no real reason for her to have an account on Alioth, I
understand that Lior Kaplan has commit permissions and patches can be
sent to him for review and commits. If he is not available I can do the
reviews and forward it for commits.

The d-i team is not giving commit rights freely so I'm thinking that at
least initially she should forward patches to Lior/me for review.

Wherever I say patches it should also be ok to have a complete he.po
file. My purpose is to get someone to do the translations and I/Lior can
do the technical work of committing and interfacing with the d-i team.

I assume you can also do the job of reviewing/interfacing but I also
assume that your time is even more limited than mine.

Anyway, Thanks!

Baruch