[Debian-in-workers] Addition of fonts to the ttf-indic package

Soumyadip Modak soumyadip@softhome.net
Wed, 19 May 2004 01:18:55 +0530

On Tue, 2004-05-18 at 17:29, Guntupalli Karunakar wrote:
>  Sampige and Pothana2000 are available under GPL.
>  We have discontinued use of Raghu in favour of the GPL devanagari
> font Gargi.

O.k. I'll put them into the package. The new package should be ready in
a couple of days.

> I am not maintainer/owner of any of the fonts.
> You can download the updated fonts package from
> http://www.indlinux.org/downloads/files/indic-otf-0.2.tar.gz
> read the files under indic/OpenType/doc for their origins.

> I am thinking of a indic-otf font package, which will include a font
> for each language (basically from above package only), all fonts under
> GPL, and which matchup well in a multilang string. Idea basically is
> these fonts will serve as default for the language, in absence of any
> user speficied one.

I'd like to hear from the other font package maintainers about this. The
ttf-indic package itself could be used as a starting point, as it
currently has single fonts: Gargi and FreeGurmukhiSerif. Only padmaa has
2 fonts. Addition of the Sampige and Pothana2000 fonts will enable the
ttf-indic-fonts package to have fonts for the following languages:

1> Gargi -> Devnagari
2> FreeGurmukhiSerif -> Gurmukhi
3> padmaa (medium/bold) -> Gujrati
4> Pothana2000 -> Telugu
5> Sampige -> Kannada

Addition of one font from the Tamil, Malayalam and Bengali packages will
round off the tally.

Awaiting comments,

Thank you
--