[Debian-in-workers] Addition of fonts to the ttf-indic package

Guntupalli Karunakar karunakar@freedomink.org
Tue, 18 May 2004 17:29:29 +0530

On Sun, 16 May 2004 23:53:02 +0530
Soumyadip Modak <soumyadip@softhome.net> wrote:

> Hi,
> I'm maintaining the ttf-indic-fonts package. Recently I downloaded
> the IndLinux tarball, and was going through the fonts section. I
> believe there are a few fonts that are unavailable in Debian :
> 1> Raghu (This font is public domain, I'm not sure of the legalities
> involved in including a font placed in the public domain)
> 2> Sampige
> 3> Pothana2000

 Sampige and Pothana2000 are available under GPL.
 We have discontinued use of Raghu in favour of the GPL devanagari
font Gargi.

> There was no font that I could find for Oriya (there was a broken
> link on the Oriya page at indlinux.org) and apparently Marathi
> shares the Devnagari fonts.

Oriya font is under development, it just barely working.

> Can I have permission to package the fonts in the ttf-indic-fonts
> package? Are there any legalities involved, any special permissions
> to be taken ?

I am not maintainer/owner of any of the fonts.
You can download the updated fonts package from
http://www.indlinux.org/downloads/files/indic-otf-0.2.tar.gz
read the files under indic/OpenType/doc for their origins.

I am thinking of a indic-otf font package, which will include a font
for each language (basically from above package only), all fonts under
GPL, and which matchup well in a multilang string. Idea basically is
these fonts will serve as default for the language, in absence of any
user speficied one.

Regards,
Karunakar

--