[Debian-in-workers] afew ideas..

Jaldhar H. Vyas Jaldhar H. Vyas" <jaldhar@debian.org
Thu, 20 May 2004 15:22:38 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 20 May 2004, Ramakrishnan Muthukrishnan wrote:

> I didn't know the existance of this list until today.

Oh I'm sorry.  I thought I sent you an invitation when the list was first
created.

> WHile checking the archives, I found the existance of ttf-indic-fonts
> package. My suggestion is to keep it a virtual package which inturn
> installs the individual font packages. We already have tamil, malayalam
> and bengali. Let us add Gujarathi, Devanagari, Kannada etc (all these have
> GPL'ed OTF fonts).

As Soumyadip said, so far each of these languages only have one or two
fonts each.  In the future we will probably split them up.  Right now
ttf-indic-fonts suggests the tamil, malayalam, and bengali font packages.
That relationship can be changed to depends if we want to automatically
pull in all the others.  But in that case we might as well have one
package.  Or two: a 'base' package with one font for each script and an
'extras' package for the rest.

however we decide to split them up, at least now we have fonts that cover
all the scripts of all the major languages (except Oriya.  That's
still being worked on.)  We should get started on the bigger task of
translating.  The idea of localizing debian-installer has already been
discussed.  The good news is that looks like work on a GTK frontend is
starting up again so that might be possible soon.  We can also start
translating debconf templates.  We should recruit some users who might
want to work on that.

I know some people who could work on Gujarati but much to my embarassment,
I can't get the fonts working on my laptop.  (I think it is a problem with
Qt/KDE in Debian.  Anyone had luck with that combo?)  Once I get over that
little hurdle, I'm going to start by localizing my webmin packages.

--
Jaldhar H. Vyas <jaldhar@debian.org>