[Debian-in-workers] [DebianIndia] Hindi translations

Christian Perrier bubulle at debian.org
Wed Aug 31 05:28:49 UTC 2005

> I'm also following the discussions related to Bangla on
> debian-in-workers list. But as it's been only a week since I've joined
> both the lists, I'm not able to understand it fully.

The point was keeping this "New Language Process", which is usually
done in private mail between the translator and me, in public.

Thus, other potential translator can understand what is involved and
what will be expected from them.

The first needed step is having some look at the installer i18n
documentation:

http://people.debian.org/~bubulle/d-i/i18n-doc

No need to read it completely. Probably chapters 1 and 3, starting by
chapter 3, are the most valuable for new translators.

> > For Hindi, Ravi Shrivastava has already contributed the translation of
> > one half one the "level 1" strings. These probably need some
> > review....and completion. Other levels can also be worked on.
> It would be better for me to start with reviewing / editing as it will
> take a little time for me to learn the intricacies / tools to be used
> for translation. Could I request for a few references or resources
> from where I can start.

I think that we should open a place in the debian-in repository for the
Hindi translations of the installer so that more contributors can work
on them by compelting them and reviewing them.

Jaldhar, we could maybe mimic the organization adopted by the Arabeyes
project in their repository (I follow their work and I can explain).

I hope that Ravi Shrivastava will post an answer here. IIRC, he
follows this list as weel, but I CC him just in case.