[Debian-in-workers] Re: [Indlinux-group] platform support status matrix for Indic

Soumyadip Modak soumyadip.modak at gmail.com
Sun Oct 16 18:10:07 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-10-15 at 23:46 -0700, Suraj N. Kurapati wrote:
> Unfortunately, in my experience proper rendering of some
> indic text (Tamil, Kannada, and Telugu) has not yet been
> implemented in Ubuntu Hoary and even Breezy. I can't
> verify for the other indic languages because I don't know
> how they're supposed to appear.

I'd suggest you uninstall freefonts package. It has glyphs for some
Indic languages, but of very inferior quality. <shameless_promotion> You
might want to try out the ttf-indic-fonts packages from Debian. I don't
know which versions are being shipped in Ubuntu Breezy
</shameless_promotion>

> I agree with this fellow on the cause of the improper
> rendering:
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/IdeaPool#head-61b0bf09277c3cf838d22dee67efc70632592927
>
> However, is the solution really that simple? (i.e. just
> link libgtk or whatever with pango and m17n when compiling
> Ubuntu packages)

I think we need to explore some sort of automated build tools for
Debian-In. We already have a Subversion repository thanks to Jaldhar. A
mechanism by which new uploads to the repository is pulled in and built
and pushed to the Debian-IN package repository would be nice. E.G.
During IndicDevelMeet, we had uploaded Mozilla source patched with the
RedHat patches to support Indic rendering to the subversion repo. Due to
time and bandwidth constraints, we couldn't upload a binary package to
the Debian-IN repository.

--
Soumyadip Modak
Mobile : 94330 65971