[Debian-in-workers] Draft for ttf-indic-fonts restructuring

Mahesh T. Pai paivakil at gmail.com
Sat May 14 15:29:50 UTC 2011

Vasudev Kamath said on Sat, May 14, 2011 at 05:35:03PM +0530,:
 > > IIRC, there was some mention that the changes would not happen.
 >
 > I never saw any such mentions on pkg-fonts-devel if you have a link
 > which can confirm this fact please share it.

I stand corrected.

But, please see Chritian Perrier's mail on this list, dt. April
4th. He seems to imply that the conclusion on the other list _may_ be
that foundry names would be optional.

Contents in another mail from him, dt. Feb 2nd too are worth noting;
but going by what has come out from these 4/5 mails, I guess the
problems would be trivial.

 > I agree current ttf-indic-fonts package should be replaced by
 > fonts-indic meta package and each individual ttf-<language>-fonts
 > should be replaced by fonts-<language> to maintain the user POV. Sorry
 > I forgot to mention about these points

How about font-<fontname>-<XX> ?? Where XX is a two alpha code for the
concerned language? (we need to iron this out - some fonts are
multi-script.

like

font-ML-lohit
font-HI-lohit
font-TE-pothana

 > Normally there will be multiple related sources/binaries and
 > single meta package which simply allows you install all those

Ok; got the point.

But I see no problem - the fonts are GPL'ed; if the original author
has abandoned the project, somebody will come along to maintain and
update them. In case of fonts, continued support from original author
is rarely required if the font is well "provisioned".

Absense of the original author's support should be a non-issue.

 > Well if we have one package for each upstream fonts Debian has DEHS
 > (Debian External Health Status) which notifies on new releases and
 > makes life of maintainer easier and of course keeps BTS clean :) (bug

How valid is this for other (non-Indic) fonts?

 > No issues all suggestions are welcome I asked "SMC members" because
 > they are the upstream for those fonts

Yes; let us wait for their reactions too.

--
Mahesh T. Pai   ||
``Those willing to give up a little liberty for a