[Debian-l10n-devel] po statistics

Holger Wansing hwansing at mailbox.org
Sun Nov 19 17:18:28 GMT 2023

Hi,

Am 17. November 2023 17:37:14 MEZ schrieb Helge Kreutzmann <debian at helgefjell.de>:
>Hello Laura et. al.
>Am Fri, Nov 17, 2023 at 12:41:54PM +0100 schrieb Laura Arjona Reina:
>> > If I look at
>> > /srv/www.debian.org/www/international/l10n/po
>> > I see more than 9400 html files. Wow!
>> > We provide the "Status of PO files for language code: de — German " in
>> > 15 different languages (ls de.*.html) and all german files (including
>> > de_*.*.html) are 112. What is this good for?
>> > I'll just pick one:
>> > de_PY.nl.html is
>> > "Toestand van de PO-bestanden voor de taalcode: de_PY — German @tmpl_lang at ndash; Paraguay"
>> > who needs this?
>
>Users who do not speak english (very well). In your example this is a
>combination, so a (probably wrong or very rare) language combination

"Users, who do not speak English (very well)" ???

This is a page specific for translators, and the workflow in Debian is "translate from English to <your language>".

So, we should expect that every person viewing this page is capable of reading/speaking English!

Therefore, I propose to remove all translations of these pages! It is enough, if they are only existing in English.

That would reduce the amount of pages from 9400 to 580 without losing anything.

Holger

--
Sent from /e/ OS on Fairphone3