[debian-lan-devel] Problems installing debian-lan_wheezy_20140302_amd64.iso

Andreas B. Mundt andi at debian.org
Wed Feb 18 23:40:00 UTC 2015

Hi Ross,

On Wed, Feb 18, 2015 at 10:46:43PM +0000, Boylan, Ross wrote:
> More precisely, if I leave the debian-lan iso in the VM and boot I
> get the iso GRUB menu.  If I choose the default option of boot OS of
> the first partition of the first disk (which I assume was there so a
> reboot after installation would work) I get error: invalid signature
> press any key to continue

> If I remove the virtual CD and boot, the system starts up.

Yes, the FAI-CD local boot option fails, I should remove it completely ...

> I was a little thrown by the question about "Install the nfsroot for
> FAI now?".  I thought everything was already setup.  Second, this
> seems to refer to the shared NFS for the FAI installer, i.e., if I
> want to create more machines on my (v)lan.  But maybe it refers to
> the shared home directories for debian-lan?

No, it creates the chroot for the FAI-installer as well as the chroot
for diskless machines.  If you run into problems when trying that
again, you can remove /srv/fai/nfsroot and /opt/live/ to start the
setup from scratch.

> I tried saying yes, but had network problems.  Thanks for your
> detailed information on that in a previous post; I need to dive into
> that and the virtual box options.  I'm running on Windows 7 so
> libvirt and kvm aren't options AFAIK, unless I wanted to run the
> inside a VM, which seems a bit much.

I guess you can build such an 'isolated network' in virtual box too,
but I have never done that.

> BTW, do you consider jessie stable enough for debain-lan?

I just prepared an iso image and uploaded it:
https://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/debian-lan-devel/2015q1/000798.html

Well, jessie is going to be released soon and the number of RC bugs is
well below wheezy (of course wheezy has been tested much more).

What are your plans?

For a production system I would wait for the first point release (but
start exploring and testing already with jessie).  Debian-LAN jessie
has some new features, i.e. it uses di-netboot-assistant and you can
use the debian-installer with preseeding as an option to install
clients.  Sometimes Debian-LAN has the problem that its development
depends on a huge number of packages, and changes in these packages
might make it necessary to adapt Debian-LAN again.  However,  this can
be done manually on an already installed setup, so it's a good idea to
watch the commits [1].

Best regards,

     Andi

[1] https://anonscm.debian.org/cgit/collab-maint/debian-lan.git/