[debian-lan-devel] More networking Q's

Boylan, Ross Ross.Boylan at ucsf.edu
Sat Feb 21 00:24:53 UTC 2015

1) get an IP from mainserver?
2) be able to ssh to mainserver?
3) be able to view a web page at mainserver?
4) be able get the IP for mainserver?

Currently, none of the operations work, even when using the IP for 2 + 3.
The VM did get an IP from somewhere, though it's not in the expected range.

If they should work, any idea what's wrong?

My (wheezy) mainserver is now attached to a virtual 10.0.0.0/12 network (with dhcp off) and has an ip of 10.0.0.1/16 (mainserver configured with combined gateway).  It has a second network card attached to 192.168.36.5/24 (dhcp on), another virtual NAT network with access to the outside world.  That server is now able to connect to the rest of the world.

Another VM is also attached to the virtual 10.0.0.0/12 network; this wheezy system was created without debian-lan, though it now has the debian-lan package loaded on it.  I purged isc-dhcp-server from the system.  This system has an IP of 10.0.1.100/16.

nslookup mainserver or nslookup mainserver.internal get nothing, though they are using 10.0.0.1 as the nameserver.

So the 2nd VM has an IP that is 10.0.1.100, though https://wiki.debian.org/DebianLAN/Setup_A says workstations get 10.0.0.50...10.0.0.149.

Also, mainserver as the same IP as listed for the virtual network:
c:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox>VBoxManage.exe list natnetworks
NetworkName:    InternallNatNetwork
IP:             10.0.0.1
Network:        10.0.0.0/12
IPv6 Enabled:   Yes
IPv6 Prefix:
DHCP Enabled:   No
Enabled:        Yes
loopback mappings (ipv4)
        127.0.0.1=2

NetworkName:    NatNetwork36
IP:             192.168.36.1
Network:        192.168.36.0/24
IPv6 Enabled:   Yes
IPv6 Prefix:
DHCP Enabled:   Yes
Enabled:        Yes
loopback mappings (ipv4)
        127.0.0.1=2

Finally, the non-mainserver VM can ping 10.0.0.1, but can not ssh into or see a webpage at that IP