[Debian-med-packaging] Please add force hint to enable metaphlan2-data testing migration

Andreas Tille tille at debian.org
Fri Nov 4 07:43:09 UTC 2016

Hi Emilio,

On Fri, Nov 04, 2016 at 12:31:41AM +0100, Emilio Pozuelo Monfort wrote:
> On 02/11/16 16:49, Andreas Tille wrote:
> > Hi release team,
> >
> > meanwhile the revision of the package metaphlan2-data has increased
> > so please add the force-hint to this package:
> >
> >      metaphlan2-data 2.6.0+ds-2
> >
> > BTW, I wonder what the to be expected time scale would be when these
> > force-hint requests are dealt with.  There is another one from Debian
> > Med team pending for sspace.  The testing migration of these both
> > packages would help a lot.
>
> You're asking for a pretty big hammer, which we don't like to use.

Hmmm, I'm afraid I do not understand what you mean.  What exactly is the
big hammer and how can I prevent asking you to use it?

> It doesn't
> help that you got some of these packages removed from testing, and everytime
> that happens you need to come and ask for this again...

I probably have a totally wrong information that if a package of
architecture all that depends from packages not available for i386 does
not migrate to testing without a __single__ force-hint from release
team.  I would really love to spare you manual work which seems like a
big effort (=pretty big hammer) for you.  The only option I know would
be to wrongly declare the package as Architecture: amd64 which has the
pretty same effect since the dependency bowtie2 only exists for amd64
but its simply wrong and would most probably have a bad side effect for
autobuilders.  I'd be really happy about any advise what might be the
better way from your perspective.

> I have added a force hint for these. If everything looks fine, I'll add a
> force-hint hint (the big hammer) tomorrow.

Thanks anyway