[SCILAB] License of routine rpoly.f

Olivier Robert poutifar at gmx.com
Thu Feb 4 23:38:53 UTC 2010

Hello Sylvestre

> Do you know a free implementation of this algorithm ?

I found one used in a scientific software developped at the CERN.
http://geant4.cern.ch
I didn't tried the code, but it implements the same algorithm as TOM
493. (ie. the Jenkins-Traub algorithm)
http://geant4.cern.ch/bin/SRM/G4GenDoc.exe.pl?flag=2&FileName=G4JTPolynomialSolver.hh&FileDir=source/global/HEPNumerics/include
It is an open source software with a non standard licence.
http://geant4.web.cern.ch/geant4/license/LICENSE.html
At first glance it looks like the GPL but with restrictions about
patents. What do you think?

The GNU Scientific Library also includes a root finding routine but it
doesn't implements Jenkins-Traub.

Regarding the licence of the fortran routine, maybe there is still
the possibility to ask the permission to the ACM to deliver the code as
GPL.

Best regards,

Olivier Robert