problem with cctbx

PICCA Frédéric-Emmanuel frederic-emmanuel.picca at synchrotron-soleil.fr
Sun Aug 5 14:35:24 UTC 2012

> I don't install .la files only .a files in the dev package as I thought they
> could be usefull.

Yes sorry after double checking I found only .a files. It is a wast of space to install the .a files.
Peoples need to follow the good practice and use shared library instead of static one.
It is a lot better for security but also for maintainability of your system.
You just need to fix the shared library once and all your softwares using this library are "magically"
fixed :).

so no need to give people a gun to shoot themselves in their feet ;)

> I know but I don't see a way. I can't change a constant during runtime. I
> already explained once that they are having 2 methods to get the "nearest
> neighbor" of a spot. In some implementations the nearest neighbor is the spot
> self (self_include) and in some it's not. This can only be achieved by resetting
> a constant in ANN.h and recompiling. Since this also changed in ANN upstream
> over the last years we could get wrong or unexpected results using libspotfinder
> etc. if I link it against debians libann. I don't really know what to do here.

Ok I red the wiki but it was not clear to me what was this self_include :)

so you mean that libann should provide two variant of the same library depending on this constant ?
It would be better for the libann upstream to provide a clean API to switch at runtime from one version
to the other.
Can you fill a bug against libann explaining what is your problem with the current version of the libann library.
What would be interesting for you and link to this bugreport in the wiki.

Thanks

Fred

Ps: I have a problem with the mmdb check test in the clipper library. the mmdb library flags are not used during
the check.

configure:16340: c++ -o conftest -I/usr/include -g -O2 -fstack-protector --param=ssp-buffer-size=4 -Wformat -Werror=format-security -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 -Wl,-z,relro conf
test.cpp  -lm  >&5
/tmp/ccxjzHs2.o: In function `main':
/home/picca/Debian/sponsor/clipper/clipper/conftest.cpp:29: undefined reference to `CMMDBManager::CMMDBManager()'
/home/picca/Debian/sponsor/clipper/clipper/conftest.cpp:31: undefined reference to `CMMDBManager::~CMMDBManager()'
configure:16340: $? = 1
configure: failed program was:
| /* confdefs.h */
| #define PACKAGE_NAME "clipper"
| #define PACKAGE_TARNAME "clipper"
| #define PACKAGE_VERSION "2.1"
| #define PACKAGE_STRING "clipper 2.1"
| #define PACKAGE_BUGREPORT "cowtan at ysbl.york.ac.uk"
| #define PACKAGE_URL ""
| #define PACKAGE "clipper"
| #define VERSION "2.1"
| #define STDC_HEADERS 1
| #define HAVE_SYS_TYPES_H 1
| #define HAVE_SYS_STAT_H 1
| #define HAVE_STDLIB_H 1
| #define HAVE_STRING_H 1
| #define HAVE_MEMORY_H 1
| #define HAVE_STRINGS_H 1
| #define HAVE_INTTYPES_H 1
| #define HAVE_STDINT_H 1
| #define HAVE_UNISTD_H 1
| #define HAVE_DLFCN_H 1
| #define LT_OBJDIR ".libs/"
| #define HAVE_LIBM 1
| #define FFTW_ENABLE_FLOAT 1
| /* end confdefs.h.  */
| #include "mmdb/mmdb_manager.h"
| int
| main ()
| {
|  CMMDBManager a;
|   ;
|   return 0;
| }
configure:16367: result: no

peoples should learn about pkg-config...