ongoing slepc/petsc transition

Adam C Powell IV hazelsct at debian.org
Sun Feb 26 04:51:12 UTC 2012

Hello Anton,

On Sat, 2012-02-25 at 15:41 +0100, Cyril Brulebois wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Anton Gladky <gladky.anton at gmail.com> (25/02/2012):
> > is there a chance to get petsc in testing in a near future?
> > gmsh was removed from wheezy because of petsc.
>
> as explained by Julien in [1], we had to remove it to let hdf5 go
> forward. If you need any help to get petsc back into testing, please
> let us (debian-release) know.
>
>  1. http://lists.debian.org/debian-qa-packages/2012/02/msg00221.html

I think the first step is to complete the mumps transition [1] for which
coinor-ipopt seems to be the main obstacle, with an RC bug [2].

 [1] http://release.debian.org/transitions/html/mumps.html

When MUMPS goes in, then petsc and slepc go right in, along with
elmerfem, and a couple of others.

That said, the HDF5 transition seems a bit premature.  There are some
fundamental changes which have broken a couple of its reverse-depends,
which is one reason so many packages needed to be removed from testing
in order to transition it.

In particular, it's impossible to install hdf5-tools and
libhdf5-*mpi-dev at the same time, as is required to build a handful of
reverse-depends [3].  There's no reason the MPI and non-MPI shared libs
should conflict.

Sorry I've been MIA for the past week, busy week at work.  I'll try to
get together patches for 586149 and 659898 so these things can move
forward.

-Adam

Engineering consulting with open source tools
http://www.opennovation.com/