[Debian-sponsors-discuss] What are we doing and what more can we do to reward companies and individuals that are supporting Debian?

Brian Gupta brian.gupta at brandorr.com
Sun Jun 2 08:08:31 UTC 2013

On Sat, Jun 1, 2013 at 3:44 PM, Stefano Zacchiroli <zack at debian.org> wrote:
> On Wed, May 29, 2013 at 04:53:40PM -0400, Brian Gupta wrote:
>> - Currently: DebConf sponsorship level rewards (recognition) (bgupta)
>> - Proposed: Discounted or free tickets to Debian events (bgupta)
>> - Proposed: Discounted event sponsorships (bgupta)
>
> Currently: partners initiative http://www.debian.org/partners/
>   It's something which is not really up-to-date (nor maintained, I
>   *think*, but I haven't investigated thoroughly with the respective
>   team). But it was a step in the right direction that should be kept in
>   the loop of future evolutions.

May I ask why we make a distinction between sponsors and "partners"?
In my mind if a monetary value could be placed on the services and
goods that a partner provides, then perhaps they could be recognized
equally?

> Proposed: mimicking http://www.freebsdfoundation.org/
>
> Proposed: allow individual donors to decide their privacy settings
>   Rationale: currently we do not show any name of donors at all, because
>   not having a way to ask them about privacy, we need to be
>   conservative.

Added both proposals to wiki. I do have questions about both of these
proposals, but will save them for when we dig into more detailed
phases of the discussion. Thanks Zack! -Brian