[Debian-sponsors-discuss] What are we doing and what more can we do to reward companies and individuals that are supporting Debian?

Brian Gupta brian.gupta at brandorr.com
Sun Jun 2 07:47:24 UTC 2013

On Sat, Jun 1, 2013 at 3:48 PM, Stefano Zacchiroli <zack at debian.org> wrote:
> On Fri, May 31, 2013 at 10:22:34AM +0200, Dr. Michael Meskes wrote:
>> How about combining it with a community of companies build around
>> Debian? I've dicussing this with Zack on and off over the years, but we
>> never made it far enough to establish said community, but I still
>> believe this is something we (as in Debian) would benefit of while at
>> the same time the companies and the business users would benefit from
>> it, too.
>
> Full ack. The infrastructure for the initiative does exist, it's here
> https://lists.debian.org/debian-companies/
>
> It has 2 major blockers that need to be addressed:
>
> 1) the "2 DDs" criterion is a bit to stringent. IMHO it should be toned
>
>    down do "1 DD and at least X employers/workers" with X, e.g. 10.
>    That is to keep it separate from individual professionals (like the
>    debian-consultants initiative) which I think have both different
>    needs and can give back to Debian in different ways

I've now added the debian-consultants group to the list of
teams/projects that should be included in this initiative.

As far as debian-companies goes, I wonder, if inaddition to whatever
criteria we have or will have for joining the debian-companies group,
if this might also be an optional perk of financially sponsoring
Debian?? (Obviously the group would need to be more active than it
sounds like it is, for this to be appealing as a perk.) IE: Thinking
we might want to explore multiple paths into debian-companies:

1) N DDs on staff and X employees (permanent membership as long as you
maintain the requirements)
2) Financially sponsor Debian above a certain level (This would be a
one year membership.)

> 2) the group needs an active coordinator, and that is a potentially
>    demanding job, at least in the beginning (say 1-2 years)

Thanks Michael and Zack. I've added both as action items in the wiki
[1], under the "ToDo" section. As well as adding the following to the
section of the wiki "What are we doing and what more can we do to
reward companies...":

"==== Proposed: Grow debian-companies initiative (feivel and zack) ===="

-Brian

[1] - http://wiki.debian.org/Fundraising