[Debian-sponsors-discuss] What are we doing and what more can we do to reward companies and individuals that are supporting Debian?

Stefano Zacchiroli zack at debian.org
Sat Jun 1 19:48:35 UTC 2013

On Fri, May 31, 2013 at 10:22:34AM +0200, Dr. Michael Meskes wrote:
> How about combining it with a community of companies build around
> Debian? I've dicussing this with Zack on and off over the years, but we
> never made it far enough to establish said community, but I still
> believe this is something we (as in Debian) would benefit of while at
> the same time the companies and the business users would benefit from
> it, too.

Full ack. The infrastructure for the initiative does exist, it's here
https://lists.debian.org/debian-companies/

It has 2 major blockers that need to be addressed:

1) the "2 DDs" criterion is a bit to stringent. IMHO it should be toned

   down do "1 DD and at least X employers/workers" with X, e.g. 10.
   That is to keep it separate from individual professionals (like the
   debian-consultants initiative) which I think have both different
   needs and can give back to Debian in different ways

2) the group needs an active coordinator, and that is a potentially
   demanding job, at least in the beginning (say 1-2 years)

Cheers.
--
Stefano Zacchiroli  . . . . . . .  zack at upsilon.cc . . . . o . . . o . o
Former Debian Project Leader  . . @zack on identi.ca . . o o o . . . o .