[xml/sgml] xml-core? and web page stuff

Ardo van Rangelrooij debian-xml-sgml-devel@lists.alioth.debian.org
Fri, 7 Nov 2003 19:10:29 -0600

Mark Johnson (mrj@debian.org) wrote:
> On Friday, November 7, Graham Wilson wrote:
> >
> > Additionally, I was thinking about typing up some short best-packaing
> > ideas and posting them at the home page this weekend. Any ideas? If not,
> > we can work from whatever I put up.
>
> That's a great idea, Graham. Your best-practices ideas can serve as a
> starting point on a 'Packaging Guide for XML/SGML Resources'.
>
> I figured that I'd have a much better idea of what to write after I
> clean up my packages (E.g. my rules files are unnecessarily
> complicated.) and after adding XML catalog registration. The latter
> should definitely be part of such a guide, and may really serve to
> accelerate the implementation of xml catalogs.

I prefer to have a clear seperation between the Makefile that comes with the
upstream source and the debian/rules file.  The former deals with building
and installing, while the latter only deals with creating the package.  I've
taken over package without a Makefile where everything was done in the rules
file.  After the split into Makefile and rules file maintaining the package
became a breeze.

But even the rules file can be rather clean but using as much as possible
the debhelper package and especially putting as much as possible into the
debhelper configuration files.

But to quote George Clooney from the movie "The Peacemaker": 'It's just
an opinion'. :-)

Thanks,
Ardo
--