[xml/sgml] Some packaging best practices ideas

Mark Johnson mrj@debian.org
Fri, 7 Nov 2003 21:10:11 -0500

On Friday, November 7, Ardo van Rangelrooij wrote:
> Hello Mark,
>
> A couple of comments:
>
>  - It's the current best practive to put the DH_COMPAT value in
>  - debian/compat.

OK, didn't know that.

>  - It's preferred to comment out DH_VERBOSE

This is an oops. I was having trouble with dh_installcatalogs and I
wanted the verbose output. Forgot to fix it before I checked rules
back in. Oops.

>  - 'dh_installdirs' is used twice

Yeah, I wasn't sure exactly where to put it at first, but then I
figured it out - and forgot to change it. Oops.

>  - 'dh_shlibdeps' for a package with only text files ???  - interesting

Stuff left in from the template I used. I _know_ it's not needed/

>  - Why do you have a 'configure' target?  Unless you're going here for the general
>    case I would suggest to remove what you don't need.

Again, I usually get rid of that target, but the template I used had
it in, so I left it.

>  - Why don't you upgrade to debhelper v4?  For dh_installcatalogs you even need
>    'debhelper (>= 4.1.75)' (see my sgml-base web page).

I just did.

But I don't understand a couple of things:
(a) how you know which version I'm using?, and
(b) is this what the DH_COMPAT number refers to?

And thanks for the above comments. Very helpful. I'm making the
changes now.

> And from the nitpicking department: look at one of my rules files for a perfect
> aligned layout (yes, I'm that picky).  Even the order of the make targets has
> been put into thought.  And yes, the order of the .PHONY dependends matches the
> order of the make targets.  But that's just me. :-)

Will do. I often do, in fact, because your stuff is so immaculately
clean and organized. Must be a Dutch thing;-)

Thanks again,
Mark

--
Mark Johnson        <mark@dulug.duke.edu>