[Debichem-devel] OpenMM package for Debian/Ubuntu

Andreas Tille andreas at an3as.eu
Wed Jan 22 21:02:40 UTC 2014

Hi Yutong,

thanks for your quick reply.

On Wed, Jan 22, 2014 at 09:28:19AM -0800, Yutong Zhao wrote:
> We're super excited to get OpenMM as part of the debian repos.

:-)

> To address your concerns:
>
> 1. Source files can be directly obtained from
> https://github.com/simtk/openmm. Releases are tagged at
> https://github.com/SimTk/openmm/releases. It should be simple to setup a
> watch script to monitor new tags/releases via github.

That's fine.

> We currently
> distribute pre-built binaries from simtk.org, but it sounds like you guys
> plan to build from source anyways.

Every Debian package will be (and needs to be) build from source.

> 2. We're OK with what ever deployment/maintenance options you think is best
> (Alioth, etc.). Having Debian download statistics would be really nice.

As I said popularity contest is more about real usage (and not inly
downloaded and deleted afterwards or installed but never used the
binaries).

> 3. We'd be happy to work with whoever (Steffan, CCed)

Steffen reads both lists. :-)

> to get this pushed
> through. Thanks for volunteering to do the initial inject.

No problem.  I'll let you know sson.

> Some questions on our end:
>
> 1. Does getting this into DebianMed/DebiChem mean that users on
> ubuntu/debian will be able to simply do apt-get install openmm to fetch the
> package (without needing to add additional sources, etc.)?

Debian Med as well as DebiChem *is* actually pure Debian.  We are just
projects (so called Debian Pure Blends) *inside* Debian caring for
medical+biological resp. chemical software.  We are uploading straigt
to debian.org and Ubuntu will fetch from there in their 6 month sync
cycle.

> 2. What additional steps do we need to take on our end? Is
> https://github.com/rmcgibbo/openmm-debpackaging sufficient?

For the moment yes.  I'd welcome if you become a member of the project
we finally decide to put the package into and than you can commit your
changes to git.debian.org.  This would be more convenient and
transparent.

Kind regards

     Andreas.

--