[Debootloaders-miboot] install power mac 6500

Piotras piotras at gmail.com
Sun Sep 10 00:41:17 UTC 2006

Hi Rob,

Good to hear that you managed to boot the kernel:-)

I did a quick look at the beta3 floppies, and net-drivers.img has the size
of 1507328 bytes. It seems that it shouldn't fit on the floppy, but then
you mentioned that the installer managed to get additional modules.

Possibly you could try to access the shell (alt-F2?) and check if the driver
is loaded into kernel ("lsmod", or "more /proc/modules"). You can try to
manually load the driver with insmod FILE_NAME_WITH_PATH and then
manually configure networking with ifconfig before continuing with the
installation.

Unfortunately I don't have much experience with the new Debian installer,
so I'm not even sure if all the mentioned commands are available.

For my machine (PowerBook G3 Series - Wallstreet) I created a bootable
image with sarge installer on a CompactFlash (my PowerBook can boot
from CompactFlash via PCMCIA). The image has miboot, kernels and
initrds on the first partition (HFS) and the dump of netinst sarge installer
(iso9660) on the second partition. To access the installer I have to
manually specify location of the installer image, but otherwise it works
very good.

I didn't try to use this method for CDROM and I don't know if it can work
without the Apple_Driver partition.

The PowerBook has couple of bugs in OpenFirmware that prevented it
from booting quick from HDD and booting netbsd from CompactFlash
(I tested an old version of netbds). I have some workarounds but it's
a different story.

Regards,

Piotr