[Debtags-devel] Proposed Debtags goals for Etch

Enrico Zini enrico at enricozini.org
Sat Jul 23 15:26:34 UTC 2005

On Fri, Jul 22, 2005 at 09:13:06PM +0200, Benjamin Mesing wrote:

> > I've also done some rename here and there (3d-model becomes 3dmodel to
> > save the hyphen to make subtags [until I'll be convinced to just use
> > ::]; textdocument-* just became text-*; plaintext became text-plain) and
> > I've added rasterimage-png and rasterimage-jpg.
> Well there are loads of other tags using the hyphen, perhaps there
> should be another, less common used character or combination to seperate
> "subtags" (like e.g. '->', ';;', '.' or anything else to your liking).
> Just define one of them.
> Some tags using the hyphen (start packagesearch and type a '-' in the
> tag filter ;-):
>       * interface::text-mode
>       * junior::games-gl
>       * admin::power-management
>       * ...

Darn, you are right, this sucks.

Idea!  How about using a single ':' to separate subtags?

Like this:

works-with::audio - Audio
works-with::audio:mp3 - MP3 Audio
works-with::audio:oggvorbis - Ogg Vorbis Audio
works-with::audio:wav - Wave uncompressed audio format
works-with::music-notation - Music notation

I like it a lot: it preserves the '-', it preserves the facet/tag
distinction and it doesn't add any more special characters beside what
is already there.

Deal?  If I don't hear anything until tomorrow, I'll proceed with the
(gosh, big!) change.

Ciao,

Enrico

--