[Debwebid-discuss] rdf coordination

Iain R. Learmonth irl at fsfe.org
Wed Aug 12 15:58:11 UTC 2015

Hi,

On Wed, Aug 12, 2015 at 05:30:19PM +0200, chrysn wrote:
> as suggested by jonas, i'm taking this here, on grounds of this being
> the best place to coordinate the minting of urls for entities involved
> in the debian project:

Ok, so the service I have running at rdf.debian.net is going to switch to
be entirely just minting URLs. The dataset got waaaaay too big for there to
be a copy of the full dataset stored in RAM so these need to be minted
dynamically (unless someone wants to volunteer a large server).

I have some semi-working code to act as a framework for this. I plan to also
move this to be meta.debian.net and not rdf.debian.net as it's been pointed
out that FTP doesn't really exist anymore and so ftp-master doesn't make
sense and CDs don't exist anymore and so the CD team doesn't make much
sense. Naming the service after a technology is probably not the best idea
and so once I'm a DD (shouldn't be long now) that new service will be going
up.

> i'd like to take up michael baumgartner's suggestion of working on
> semantic data about debian during debcamp. so far, what has been done
> is:
>
> * update https://wiki.debian.org/RDF to be a spooling point for semantic
>   tools in debian and semantic resources about debian.
>
> * set up tags for semantic tools with enrico in debtags, and go through
>   everything in the archive that looks like rdf and tag it.
>
>   the new tags are devel::lang:sparql, works-with-format::rdf:{json-ld,
>   n3,turtle,ntriples,xml} and works-with::semantic-data.
>
>   we might want to go into details later and provide information about
>   which packages are reasoners, converters etc (use::converting, we
>   mgiht add use::reasoning), but at least we've got a starting point for
>   identifying our tools.
>
> the next thing i'd like to tackle is debtags, which should really be
> available in rdf. originally, what i had in mind was creating a
> dedicated exporter from the dumps[1], but given that debtags are visible
> in udd, and udd is (at least partially) exported in rdf already, i might
> just as well extend that.

If you can make the data available in UDD and provide queries for getting
these and work out what schemas to use, then I can integrate these into the
meta.debian.net URL minting service.

Even better, if you can provide code that grabs the queries from UDD and
returns an rdflib graph with all the relevant information in it, then I can
just drop that in.

The code I use for accessing UDD is very similar to
http://anonscm.debian.org/cgit/collab-maint/semantic-debian.git/tree/semantic_debian/udd2.py.

> iain, obergix, will you be at debconf/-camp for a bof?

I won't be at debconf or camp but I am available in #debian-data for
discussions (on OFTC).

Thanks,
Iain.

P.S. I'm now subscribed to the webid list, no need to CC me.

--
e: irl at fsfe.org            w: iain.learmonth.me
x: irl at jabber.fsfe.org     t: EPVPN 2105