[Debwebid-discuss] rdf coordination

Olivier Berger olivier.berger at telecom-sudparis.eu
Wed Aug 12 16:55:47 UTC 2015

Hi.

chrysn <chrysn at fsfe.org> writes:

> hello debwebid team,
>
> as suggested by jonas, i'm taking this here, on grounds of this being
> the best place to coordinate the minting of urls for entities involved
> in the debian project:

It can be done here... although WebID primarily covers entities like
people or agents, usually... but why not ;-)

> i'd like to take up michael baumgartner's suggestion of working on
> semantic data about debian during debcamp.

Great !

Any pointer on that suggestion, for context and possible discussions on
other aspects of the question ?

> so far, what has been done
> is:
>
> * update https://wiki.debian.org/RDF to be a spooling point for semantic
>   tools in debian and semantic resources about debian.

I've just added a pointer to our paper that discusses some of the
rationale, ideas, potential for such efforts.

> * set up tags for semantic tools with enrico in debtags, and go through
>   everything in the archive that looks like rdf and tag it.

Hmmm... whereas "semantic data" probably makes sense, it seems to me
that nowadays, the "Semantic Web" discourse if more generally coined as
"Linked Data"... it's mainly a marketing issue, since the concepts are
quite the same, AFAIU.

>   the new tags are devel::lang:sparql, works-with-format::rdf:{json-ld,
>   n3,turtle,ntriples,xml} and works-with::semantic-data.
>
>   we might want to go into details later and provide information about
>   which packages are reasoners, converters etc (use::converting, we
>   mgiht add use::reasoning), but at least we've got a starting point for
>   identifying our tools.

Great.

> the next thing i'd like to tackle is debtags, which should really be
> available in rdf. originally, what i had in mind was creating a
> dedicated exporter from the dumps[1], but given that debtags are visible
> in udd, and udd is (at least partially) exported in rdf already, i might
> just as well extend that.

I haven't considered these, AFAIR, so I don't have much to tell for the
moment.

> iain, obergix, will you be at debconf/-camp for a bof?

I'll be in Heidelberg between 18th and 21st, and would love to discuss /
hack on these topics.

Btw, I've seen that Matthias Klumpp intends to present efforts on
AppStream in Debian at the Debconf (see
http://blog.tenstral.net/2015/08/appstreamdep-11-for-everyone-beta.html
) and I feel like there's some overlap between metadata in AppStream and
Linked Data / Semantic Web which is mainly a means to more
interoperability for me.

Hope this helps, and looking forward to seeing your progress until we
meet IRL.

Best regards,

--
Olivier BERGER