[Decaf-devel] Merging pam module, killd and status packages?

Luis Matos gass at otiliamatos.ath.cx
Tue Dec 19 22:14:04 CET 2006

Ter, 2006-12-19 às 16:44 +0100, Fanen Ahua escreveu:
> sorry if this is coming late, i think the 'decaf_cashier' package should
> create the database, as well as a default '/etc/decaf.conf'

disagree ... the database server can be a standalone database server.
for example, a tester for decaf works like that. He has a central server
for shares and the cashier machine (his) is not the server.

> it would be useful to include info concerning the fact that you need to
> create a /etc/decaf.conf file if you decide not to create it
> automatically.

i think that in the workstations as in the cashier, this could be done
using debconf. This way this could be preseeded in an automatic
installation using the d-i.

> also drop a hint on how to create the database in the how-to...

this maybe is missing from the docs. something like:

createdb decaf
createuser decaf-user ...

psql decaf -h host -U decaf-user < decaf-scheme.sql

> the package 'decaf_killd' refuses to install on my machine. it fails at the
> 'setting up..' stage. i'm running
> debian etch official snapshot (october 25th)
>
> uname -r: 2.6.18-3-686
>  postgres
>
> On Tue, 2006-12-19 at 12:45 +0000, Joachim Breitner wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I’m currently making the setup of the database automatic, by introducing
> > a decaf-db package for the server and using dbconfig-common.
> >
> > I’m wondering if it is really worth the hassle to have separate packages
> > for the pam module, the kill daemon and the status display. They all
> > need the same configuration file, and I am not sure what’s the best way
> > to provide it.
> >
> > Comments are highly appreciated, and preferably now while I’m working on
> > it :-)
> >
> > Greetings,
> > Joachim

Best Regards,