[Decaf-devel] Merging pam module, killd and status packages?

Joachim Breitner mail at joachim-breitner.de
Wed Dec 20 10:46:12 CET 2006

Hi,

Am Mittwoch, den 20.12.2006, 10:23 +0100 schrieb Fanen Ahua:
> On Tue, 2006-12-19 at 21:14 +0000, Luis Matos wrote:
> > Ter, 2006-12-19 às 16:44 +0100, Fanen Ahua escreveu:
> > > sorry if this is coming late, i think the 'decaf_cashier' package should
> > > create the database, as well as a default '/etc/decaf.conf'
> >

> > disagree ... the database server can be a standalone database server.
> > for example, a tester for decaf works like that. He has a central server
> > for shares and the cashier machine (his) is not the server.
> >
> since decaf-cashier can connect to the database server, i suppose it can
> create the db anyway, even if its on a different machine?

I’d rather go with a decaf-db package. I think it is more intuitive to
install a specific package on the server, than just a GUI somewhere on
the network. Also, dbconfig-common can automatically create the database
on the local server, over the network this involves more work, such as
allowing a remote user the creation of databases.

Additionally, the decaf-cashier might not be the only frontend (someone
could write a web frontend, or a timecode vending machine :-)), and it
might be installed on a few machines.

And the decaf-db package will be even more useful when there will be
management scripts (think daily cron jobs). It most likely makes sense
that they are separate from a GUI, as the cashier computer might not be
switched on over night.

> > > it would be useful to include info concerning the fact that you need to
> > > create a /etc/decaf.conf file if you decide not to create it
> > > automatically.
> >
> also, which user should be the owner (chown) of /etc/decaf.conf? should
> decaf-cashier be run as user 'decaf'?

I was thinking about that issue. My current plan would
be: /etc/decaf.conf is only readable by root, and decaf-cashier stores
it’s database connection information independently, e.g. in
~/.decaf.conf, or in gconf. Comments on that?

> i hope my novice comments aren't boring you all.

Not at all, any discussion will be helpful, and if only to help me think
about my plans :-)

> > > also drop a hint on how to create the database in the how-to...
> >
> > this maybe is missing from the docs. something like:
> >
> > createdb decaf
> > createuser decaf-user ...
> >
> > psql decaf -h host -U decaf-user < decaf-scheme.sql

With debconf-db, this will be done automatically, by dbconfig-common.
But for those who do not want to use that, it should be added to the
docs. Feel free to add it to
http://wiki.debian.org/DeCaf/Documentation
That page will be included (as html and text) on further releases.

> > > the package 'decaf_killd' refuses to install on my machine. it fails at the
> > > 'setting up..' stage. i'm running
> > > debian etch official snapshot (october 25th)

Hmm. Can you give me more information on the failure?

Greetings,
Joachim
--
Joachim Breitner