mk-origtargz (Was: Problem with *.zip archives)

Joachim Breitner nomeata at debian.org
Wed Apr 30 22:40:39 UTC 2014

Hi,

Am Mittwoch, den 30.04.2014, 22:52 +0200 schrieb Andreas Tille:
> Well, I can survive with this - finally its a matter of taste.
>
> I did some tests in the last weeks.  Today I realised that the main
> source dir is missing the appendinx "+dfsg" which is as far as I know
> good packaging practice and was implemented in my original patch.  May
> be this should be implemented again.

I guess you are talking about the top-level directory of the archive
contents? I’m not sure. I like to keep things simple and predictable,
and I would not expect a tool that claims to (a) rename archives, (b)
change compression schemes and (d) delete files to rename the contents.

Also, what is the gain? I believe that "dpkg-source -x" will fix up the
top-level directory name anyways (or am I mistaken)?

> Regarding origtargz:  I admit I have not understood how to use this.
> Could you perhaps add an example in the end of the manpage?

Use it like uscan, just with a tarball that you have obtained anywhere
else. So the simplest case would be

$ wget http://example.com/new-and-hot-release/with-weird-name.tar.gz
$ mk-origtargz --package foo --version 0.1 with-weird-name.tar.gz
# now you have a foo_0.1.orig.tar.gz file

But if you never had the need to do that independent from uscan then you
can of course ignore it.

Greetings,
Joachim

--