Excluded-Files feature reimplemented

Andreas Tille andreas at an3as.eu
Tue Mar 18 06:59:16 UTC 2014

Hi,

On Mon, Mar 17, 2014 at 10:17:54PM -0400, James McCoy wrote:
> > But why do we need this functionality in the first place? Doesn’t
> > dpkg-source already take care of tarballs that have more than one
> > top-level directory?
>
> The intent of the code is to provide a top-level directory for tarballs
> which unpack into the working directory instead of into their own
> sub-directory.  My understanding is that this fits the general
> expectation of the structure of an orig.tar.gz.

An additional point is that it seems to be good practice to name the man
dir of the tarball <name>-<verion>+dfsg.  You can not easily do this if
you leave a broken / dirty tarball unpacking several files and dirs.

Moreover, even if dpkg-source is able to deal with the tarball if I have
a new package I always need to remember that I need to create the dir
first an unpack to this.  IMHO *if* we are repackaging anyway we should
do something sensible.

> Also, whether or not “dpkg-source -x” will detect this and unpack in a
> nice way doesn't help any other tools that need to consume the tarball
> or $user that downloads the orig.tar.gz from Debian.

+1

Kind regards

      Andreas.

PS: Please CC me.  I'm not subscribed to the list.

--
http://fam-tille.de