Excluded-Files feature reimplemented

James McCoy jamessan at debian.org
Tue Mar 18 02:17:54 UTC 2014

On Tue, Mar 18, 2014 at 12:05:22AM +0100, Joachim Breitner wrote:
> [Please CC me on replies, thanks.]
>
> I’d argue that it would be cleaner and easier if repacking (including
> changing file formats and compression, and fixing up directory
> structure) is one feature (--repack),

I'd consider taking it a step further and let uupdate be the sole script
to handle fixing the directory structure.

> and file exclusion another, and
> they are orthogonal.

I agree with this sentiment, but the original implementation made it
easier to combine the two.  Now that you've avoided performing an unpack
to filter out the excluded files, separating the functionality is
easier.

> But why do we need this functionality in the first place? Doesn’t
> dpkg-source already take care of tarballs that have more than one
> top-level directory?

The intent of the code is to provide a top-level directory for tarballs
which unpack into the working directory instead of into their own
sub-directory.  My understanding is that this fits the general
expectation of the structure of an orig.tar.gz.

Also, whether or not “dpkg-source -x” will detect this and unpack in a
nice way doesn't help any other tools that need to consume the tarball
or $user that downloads the orig.tar.gz from Debian.

Cheers,
--
James
GPG Key: 4096R/331BA3DB 2011-12-05 James McCoy <jamessan at debian.org>