Excluded-Files feature reimplemented

Joachim Breitner nomeata at debian.org
Mon Mar 17 23:05:22 UTC 2014

[Please CC me on replies, thanks.]

Hi again,

Am Montag, den 17.03.2014, 23:38 +0100 schrieb Joachim Breitner:
> Am Sonntag, den 16.03.2014, 22:29 -0400 schrieb James McCoy:
> >  Could someone have a look and, if ok, merge it? Feel free to remove the
> > > branch afterwards.
> >
> > Other than dropping the call to get_main_source_dir, it looks good.
> > The effect of get_main_source_dir can probably be handled similar to the
> > way the files are being removed from the tarball now.
>
> What exactly is the purpose of this call? It seems it is trying to
> change the directory structure of the tarball – in the code that is
> triggered by excluding files. As a user I’d be very surprised if adding
> some Excluded-Files list to debian/copyright does more than just
> precisely that. In particular, I’d not expect it to change the
> compression scheme, file format or directory structure.

reading through some bugreports and history it seems that I accidentally
removed some repacking features that Andreas Till added with his patch.
If I understand
https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2014/03/msg00280.html correctly he
combined repacking features and file exclusion, and later these were
untangled.

I’d argue that it would be cleaner and easier if repacking (including
changing file formats and compression, and fixing up directory
structure) is one feature (--repack), and file exclusion another, and
they are orthogonal. If you agree, then get_main_source_dir (which is a
strange name for a function that “does” something; why not
“make_main_source_dir”) needs to be moved somewhere in the repack code.

But why do we need this functionality in the first place? Doesn’t
dpkg-source already take care of tarballs that have more than one
top-level directory?

Greetings,
Joachim
(who likes to keeps stuff simple)